Objective: Students will make inferences based on a character's speech, thoughts, actions, appearance, and interactions.
1. Word of the Day #18: self-effacing
2. Language Lab #15 (From the second page, copy the rule. Then fix the sentence below it by adding correct punctuation.)
3. Writer's Notebook #19
4. As a class, we reviewed the concept of inference by figuring out the stories being told in Norman Rockwell paintings.
5. As a class we read pages 3-12 of Speak and made inferences about the main character based on this character's speech, thoughts, actions, appearance, and interactions.
6. After discussing page 5 where the main character is compared to a wounded zebra, we each chose what animal we felt like could symbolize ourselves.
7. After reading p. 12, we each drew a "destiny word" and completed a brainstorming worksheet about our words.
For next time: No homework.